winSTARS and NMCIDecember 23, 2003
|To:||STARS system administrators|
|Navy computer support personnel|
With the rollout of NMCI, ZOA Consulting's help desk has been fielding a lot of questions lately from STARS users and IT support people about how to prepare winSTARS for the transition to NMCI. The following is some basic information that will answer your most frequently asked questions. If you have more questions, feel free to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us at 415-566-9949.
- NMCI Approval: winSTARS version 2.19 has been approved for use on NMCI networks
under ISF # 67470. You can verify this information in the DADMS database under
the acronym winSTARS or via DADMS ID 9537.
- Network Installation: To run winSTARS on an NMCI network, your first step is
to create a shared server directory on the NMCI server to which your STARS users will have full
read/write/delete rights. The second step is to copy all the files from your current network
shared winSTARS subdirectory into the new NMCI folder. Note that it is not necessary to "install"
winSTARS on the NMCI server. All you have to do is to copy the ten essential winSTARS files into a
single shareable folder on the NMCI server. The ten essential winSTARS files are:
winstars.exe starsdb.mdb winstars.hlp american.vtd winstars.mdw custom.dic winstar0.mdw version.mem stru2000.mdw headers.txt
- Performance Tuning: Depending on how your NMCI server is configured and tuned, you may
see an improvement in performance for winSTARS after making the switch from your current network to your
new NMCI server. However, if you see significant degradation of performance, please see our
performance notes posted on this website.
- Network Tuning: If the switch to NMCI causes your winSTARS to run slow and to suffer from
frequent database corruptions, ask your NMCI support staff to check their switches. Nine times out of ten,
NMCI will set their switches at Autonegotiate (the default setting). Changing these switches to
Full Duplex will result in an immediate improvement of winSTARS as well as all your other
applications ... especially shared databases.
- Workstation Configuration: In order for any workstation to run winSTARS, various DLL and OCX library files must be installed in the Windows System folder. Your NMCI providers will deliver workstations that have these library files pre-installed. It doesn't matter which version of the winSTARS DLL and OCX files are preinstalled by NMCI because all versions of winSTARS library files are the same.